Utah Department of Administrative Services

Division of Archives & Records Service

Frequently-Asked Questions on Records Management

If I digitize my records, can I throw away the paper?

We recommend you save the paper originals. If you don't have space in your office, you can always send the records to the Records Center.


How do I digitize my records? Will you digitize my records?

The Archives offers expertise from from our preservation section, but we do not convert paper to digital on demand. Many agencies find success with a simple office scanner, which can be purchased relatively inexpensively, and kept in the office. You will need an optical scanner to digitize paper records (or a digital camera if the format is large), as well as storage space on a server to maintain the records.


I'm a new records officer. What do I do?

Call your records analyst. Find out who your analyst is on our Records Analysts page.


How do I take the certification test?

If you are the official records officer for your agency, when you register here, your Chief Administrative Officer will approve the appointment and you will receive a link to the test. If you have any problems, please contact your analyst.

What is a CAO? What does a CAO do?

A CAO is a government employee, such as an Executive Director, County Commissioner, City Manager or Mayor, etc., whose job is to oversee the proper and effective management of, and access to, government records. For more information, see Utah Code § 63A-12-103.


What is an ARO? What does an ARO do?

A records officer is defined as “the individual appointed by the chief administrative officer of each governmental entity, or the political subdivision to work with State Archives in the care, maintenance, scheduling, designation, classification, disposal, and preservation of records” (Utah Code § 63G-2-103).

This agency-appointed person serves as the agency's contact person with the State Archives.


How do I send records to you?

After boxes are ready for transfer according to transfer procedures, use the Records Transfer Sheet to transfer records to the Records Center or the State Archives. A separate form must be submitted for each record series to be transferred. List each box and include all descriptions such as date or file ranges. Boxes must follow the labeling instructions as identified in the transfer procedure. We will contact you about delivery times after the form is received. If you have questions, you may contact a records analyst.


What if they're digital records?

Contact your record analyst, who can provide advice based on the format(s) and total volume.


What box do I use to send records to you?

Records must be transferred in Records Center boxes, available from Office Depot (call 1-888-263-3423). As you call, you will be asked to give your agency's Office Depot Customer Number. If you have no customer number, you will be invited to establish one. You will not be able to order Records Center boxes without a customer number. The item number for the boxes is 285052. These boxes have been specially contracted to specifications required by the State Archives.


How do I get to the Records Center?

The Records Center is located in Clearfield. The address is:

Utah State Records Center
Freeport Center, Building C-6
5th Street & C. Street
Clearfield, UT 84015


You can mail records transfers to:

Utah State Records Center
P.O. Box 141029
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-1029


How do I answer a GRAMA request?

GRAMA requests should be responded to as soon as reasonably possible, but no later than 10 business days after receiving the request. There are four possible responses to a GRAMA request (Utah Code 63G-2-204(3)(b)). They are: provide the record; deny the request; notify the requester that your agency does not maintain the records and provide a referral if known; or claim extraordinary circumstances exist that require more time.


How do I make a GRAMA request?

Submit a GRAMA request to the entity that maintains the record. Be as specific as possible regarding the records you want. The State Archives has prepared forms for requesters to use to help narrow the request, but GRAMA does not required that a form be used. The agency has 10 business days from receiving the request to respond.


How do I find the right retention schedule?

Your agency may have retention schedules which specify the retention and approved disposition of a record series unique to your agency. Search for your office here, or call your analyst to find your agency specific schedules. For general records which are common to many agencies, review the general schedule which services as a model for agencies. Review the general schedule here.


How do I get on your email mailing list?

You can subscribe to the Records Keepers blog, where we post information relevant to records management, by visiting recordskeepers.wordpress.com, and entering your email address in the field where it says "Enter your email address".


How do I destroy my records? Will you destroy my records?

The State Records Center will notify you when records that are stored at our facility are eligible for destruction, and will request your permission to destroy the records. Upon your approval, the records will be sent to a secure shredding facility for disposal.

To destroy records that are stored at your office, you may contact an approved shredding company. The vendor that the State Records Center uses is Columbus Secure Document Solutions. They can be reached at 801-262-1588. The State Records Center will only destroy records that have been approved for storage at our facility. The destruction of all other records is the responsibility of the agency that owns the record.


Are you holding any trainings?

The Archives offers training for records officers on a variety of subjects. This training is for both state agencies and local governments, and is often held regionally. Training events are offered free of cost. You can see the training schedule and register here.


How do I post to the Public Notice Website?

Please refer to the Public Notice Website for their Helpful Questions and Answers. Use your LAN login to see the Q&A for posters. You will need to be registered in order to login. If you are not already registered, you will need to self-register or be entered by the entity owner. After self-registration, you must wait for owner approval before you are able to post any public notices.


What is a retention schedule?

A retention schedule is a list or other instrument describing records series and the period of time during which records are kept in the custody of the creating agency (including Records Center storage) before disposition occurs; a retention schedule is usually in terms of years or contingent upon an event, such as an audit.


Can you come visit my agency and provide training?

Absolutely! Contact your analyst and they will happy to provide one-on-one training. Analysts also hold regional training sessions, and basic training (offered monthly) for new records officers. Check out upcoming events here.


Why aren't my records listed on the General Schedule?

The general retention schedule establishes retention and disposition instructions for records, as defined in the Government Records Access Management Act (63G-2-604(1)(c)(2014)), created by many governmental entities. GRAMA does not require the creation of any record not normally created in the conduct of business. When looking for a particular record on the general schedule, be sure to think in broad terms. For example, rather than looking for a schedule for annual reports, use the publications schedule. Certain short term materials, and non-records that do not document the work of an entity are not specified in this schedule (e.g., duplicates, telephone messages, mailing lists). If the information created is unique to your entity, a record series can be created for that information with retention approved by the State Records Committee. Please contact your record analyst for assistance in using the general schedule, or for creating a unique schedule.


Have a question you'd like to ask? Email (recordsmanagement@utah.gov) and let us know.