Series 30145

Murray City School District (Utah) 25th School District record book, 1894-1906.

0.50 cubic foot

These records are housed in the Utah State Archives' permanent storage room.

Historical Note

See history of the records' creator.

Summary of Records

This series contains a single bound volume used to record business of the 25th School District. The book is an 1894 "Record Book for Secretaries of Boards of Trustees of School Districts in Utah" with pre-printed pages for tracking finances and property, and for keeping board minutes. The record includes a variety of information about such things as school board elections, taxation, income, expenditures, payment of teachers, and construction of school buildings. The 25th District covered the area of what became northwest and central Murray when the city incorporated in 1903. The district operated one school in the northwest part of town, known as the Westside or Pioneer School. A second school was known as the Central School and later as the Arlington School and was located on State Street in the business district. When the Murray City School District was formed in 1905, administration of all the schools in the city were consolidated under one district.

Scope and Content

This series contains a single bound volume used to record business of the 25th School District. The book is an 1894 "Record Book for Secretaries of Boards of Trustees of School Districts in Utah" with pre-printed pages for tracking finances and property, and for keeping board minutes. The record includes a variety of information about such things as school board elections, taxation, income, expenditures, payment of teachers, and construction of school buildings. The 25th District covered the area of what became northwest and central Murray when the city incorporated in 1903. The district operated one school in the northwest part of town, known as the Westside or Pioneer School. A second school was known as the Central School and later as the Arlington School and was located on State Street in the business district. When the Murray City School District was formed in 1905, administration of all the schools in the city were consolidated under one district, which inherited this record of the 25th School District.

Arrangement

Generally chronological.

Access Restrictions

This series is classified as Public.

Use Restrictions

These records are available for reproduction and use.

Preferred Citation

Cite the Utah State Archives and Records Service, the creating agency name, the series title, and the series number.

Custody History

The book in this series came into the custody of the Murray City School District in 1905, when the 25th District was absorbed into the larger city district. The Murray City School District gave the book to the Murray City Museum in 2016. The museum transferred the book to the State Archives in 2021.

Acquisition Information

These records were acquired from the creating agency through established retention schedules.

Processing Information

This series was archivally processed by Alan B. Barnett in July 2021.

Indexing Terms

Container List

BoxDescription
1 Record of Receipts and Disburesements (pp. 2-122); 1894 Jul 7-1906 Jul 17
1 Inventory of Property (pp. 124-134); 1900 Jun 30-1906 Jun 30
1 Minutes of Board of Trustees (pp. 141-237); 1894 Dec 30-1905 Jul 15