Transferring Records

Government records may be stored at the Records Center free of charge. Records should be mailed or delivered to the Utah State Records Center (see address below) after filling out the Records Transfer Form and coordinating with the Records Center staff. Please follow these guidelines to ensure the best service.


Verify that the records have been scheduled

Make sure that your records have been assigned a series number by the State Archives. If the records have not been assigned a series number by the Archives, complete the Series Submission Form and work with your RIM specialist to obtain a series number.

You can view your agency's scheduled series by visiting this page and selecting your agency. (Please note that if you use the search function, you will need to select your agency and then click on "Retention and Classification Report".)


Obtain Records Center boxes from Office Depot

Records must be transferred in Records Center boxes, available from Office Depot. These boxes are a proprietary item, meaning their production has been specially contracted in order to meet the specifications required by the State Archives. To order the boxes, follow these steps in order:

  1. Call 1-888-263-3423.
  2. Provide your agency's Office Depot Customer Number. If you have no customer number, you will be invited to establish one. You will not be able to order Records Center boxes without it, and the Office Depot representatives must have your account open before they can access the box item number in their computer system.
    • Please note that agencies must have a state contract (NASPO) account with Office Depot in order to order the boxes.
  3. Provide the item number for the boxes, which is 285052. The boxes cost about $5.35 each.
    • If you are quoted a higher price, make sure the Office Depot Representative has your account open and is quoting you the state contract account price for the boxes.
  4. Complete the transaction.
  5. If you have followed these steps in order and still have problems ordering the boxes, please contact: 

    Joe Taylor, Senior Account Manager

For information about ordering oversize boxes, please contact us.


Prepare records for transfer to Records Center

  1. Pack records using the same arrangement which is used to create an maintain them in your agency files. Do not create a new filing system.
  2. Avoid over-packing boxes. Retrieving, shelving, and filing information is difficult in an over packed box.
  3. Limit box contents to one record series.
  4. Replace any Pendaflex folders (hanging file folders), binders, or three-ring notebooks with labeled manila folders.
  5. Contact the Records at Center 801-525-3020 to make special arrangements if materials will not fit in a records center box.
  6. Label boxes with a large black pen with indelible ink and include the following information directly on the box: agency name and city, agency-assigned box number (e.g. 2018-1, 2018-2, etc.), and record series number.
  7. Please number your boxes according to your agency's needs, and keep an inventory of each box's contents.


Complete Records Transfer Form (RTS)

Fill out the online Records Transfer Form (RTS), including the series number(s) and box numbers. Please notify the Archives if you are sending non-paper media, such as CDs, DVDs, cassette tapes, flash drives, etc., by selecting the box on the RTS:

form detail

All boxes submitted on the same RTS should be shipped together.


Arrange delivery of boxes to the Records Center

After you have submitted the RTS, the Records Center will email and let you know when you may send the records.

Agencies must make their own arrangements to deliver records to the Records Center. If State Mail is available in your area, you may send up to 6 boxes without prior arrangement. You may contact State Mail at 801-323-4300.

State Mail:

Utah State Records Center
Box #1029

Regular mailing address:

Utah State Records Center
PO Box 141029
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-1029

In-person deliveries (by arrangement):

Utah State Records Center
Freeport Center, Building C-6
5th Street & C Street
Clearfield, UT 84015

Phone: 801-525-3020


Upon delivery, Records Services staff will verify that all boxes match the Records Transfer Sheet. They will send an Accession Report to the Appointed Records Officer and whomever submitted the original RTS.

Records officers should maintain a file of their RTS's someplace where their successor will also have access.


To Recall Boxes from the Records Center

To recall boxes from the Records Center, please fill out the Records Center Recall Form.

Properly labeled Archives box

Page Last Updated July 27, 2023 .