File Local Ordinances and Policies with State Archives

Retention Schedules

Adopting an Ordinance?

According to Utah Code 63G-2-701(2) a political subdivision has the right to adopt an ordinance or a policy applicable throughout its jurisdiction related to information practices, including classification, designation, access, denials, segregation, appeals, management, retention, and amendment of records, so long as the adopted ordinance or policy is in compliance with the criteria set forth in the following Utah Code Sections:

Notify State Archives within 30 days

Section 701 of the Government Records Access and Management Act states that it is the responsibility of the political subdivision to notify the State Archives of any retention schedules, designations and classifications of records maintained by the political subdivision, no later than 30 days after the policy or ordinance effective date.

person using a pen to tick correct check marks in checkboxes

Retention subject to review

Section 701 further clarifies that the report of retention schedules, classifications, and designations is not subject to approval by State Archives, but provides that if State Archives determines that a different retention schedule is needed for state purposes, that State Archives has the right to notify the political subdivision of the state's retention schedule for the records , and shall maintain the records if requested to do so, as provided by Utah Code 63A-12-105(2).

Recommended approval process

It is the recommendation of the State Archives that locally approved records ordinances and policies be approved following a model of public transparency and accountability, as exhibited by the State’s Records Management Committee, and that ordinances and policies related to public access and records retention be reviewed and approved by a political subdivision’s governing body.

Filing with State Archives

To file a copy of your approved ordinance or policy with State Archives send a PDF copy to your RIM Specialist or to [email protected]. Questions? Email us at [email protected] or call 801-531-3863.

As a courtesy your ordinance or policy may be linked to on, but posting on the Archives website does not constitute filing. It is the responsibility of the creating agency to tell the Archives if our links are out of dat