Series 29707Department of Natural Resources. Division of Parks and Recreation Brigham Young Forest Farm House plans
Dates: ca. 1969
These records are housed in the Utah State Archives' permanent storage room.
Scope and Content
This series contains jacketed microfilm images of two sets of plans for the Brigham Young Forest Farm House. One set of plans was presumably intended to show how the building would look when restored. The plans show the re-creation of the demolished south wing of the house, re-creation of the historic porches surrounding the house, and restoration of exterior detailing. The plans include north, south, east and west elevations, as well as floor plans for the first and second floors. The basement plan includes new service and storage areas as well as restrooms. The plans provide information about the general look and layout of the building, but do not have the details typical of construction drawings. The plans were apparently drawn by contractor L. Kunz for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The plans are undated, but presumably date from the late 1960s, around the time the LDS Church acquired the property and began restoration work.
The second set consists of a single site plan showing the footprint of the existing structure and the proposed re-built wing. The plan shows adjacent property, structures to be removed, a new parking area, along with sidewalks and and adjustment to the property line. The plans were created by the LDS Church Office of the Building Committee in 1969 and approved by Church Architect Emil B. Fetzer.
The "Farm House" was originally built in 1863 for Brigham Young as the residence for his "Forest Farm." George M. Cannon bought the farm from John W. Young in 1889 and developed the property around the house into the Forest Dale addition/subdivision. In the new subdivision the house had an address at 732 E. Ashton Ave. The house went through extensive remodeling while under ownership of the Cannon's, including the removal of the entire south wing of the house. The Wilcox family bought the house in 1950, and restored it while it was still at its original location. In 1968 the Wilcox family donated the house to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church then reconstructed the missing wing and developed the surrounding site to accommodate visitors. In 1975 the Church traded the Farm House to the State of Utah in exchange for the Brigham Young Winter Home in St. George and the Jacob Hamblin Home in Santa Clara. At that time the State relocated the Forest Farm House to what is now This is the Place Heritage Park, which at that time was managed by the Utah Division of State Parks. The plans in this series likely came into the state's possession as documentation of the history of the farm house, when the State took possession of the house.
Source: Golden Jubilee Committee, Fifty Years of Progress of Forest Dale Ward, 1946.
This series is classified as Public.
Cite the Utah State Archives and Records Service, the creating agency name, the series title, and the series number.
Processing NoteThis series was archivally processed by Alan B. Barnett and Maria Sanchez in December 2018.
Page Last Updated .