General Retention Schedule Current Updates
Current Proposed Changes
The Update Process
- An agency or the Archives proposes an update (revision, consolidation, new schedule, etc.).
- Archives gathers data and drafts the update with informed input from stakeholders.
- Archives' internal committee approves proposed update to move forward.
- Draft is made public for stakeholder feedback for one month.
- Archives reviews feedback and revises draft as needed.
- Archives' internal committee approves updated draft.
- Minor updates are implemented at this point.
- Major updates are sent to the Records Management Committee for approval.
- If the Records Management Committee approves the update, it is implemented as approved.
- If the Records Management Committee does not approve the update, it is not implemented.
Updates are categorized as either "major" or "minor."
Major updates include:
- Significant description updates
- Consolidation of schedules that are not duplicative
- Consolidation that changes the retention of records
- Retention change
- Disposition change
- Discontinuation of a schedule
Minor updates include:
- Description updates for consistency, typos, or grammar
- Consolidation of duplicative schedules
- Citation updates
- Title updates or changes
Page Last Updated October 7, 2019 .