Willow Springs Mining District (Utah). Recorder

Entity: 3137
Entity Type: Mining District


The Willow Springs Mining District, organized 21 May 1891 in the Deep Creek Mountains of western Tooele County (Utah), was an extension of mining activity at Gold Hill in the Clifton Mining District. Calleo in Juab County was the hub of the Willow Springs District. Gold Hill prospectors organized this district in accordance with federal law, which stated that mineral deposits in the public domain were free and open to exploration, and locators of the same had exclusive right of possession. The law authorized local mining districts to keep records and oversee mining operations within specified boundaries. Willow Springs boundaries extended from Overlook Canyon on the north to Red Cedar Canyon on the south, and from the summit of the mountains on the west to Boyd's Station on east. Mines in the district produced gold, silver and lead. In 1897 the Utah Legislature enacted a mining law which transferred responsibility for keeping mining records to county recorders.

Biography/History Notes

In accordance with federal law, mining districts adopted by-laws to regulate mining activity in local areas and elected recorders to keep records of claims. Prospectors in the Willow Springs District were required to mark their claims with 2-foot monuments at each end and at each corner. By-laws allowed miners 20 days to file a notice of location with the district recorder. Federal law required annual assessment work to maintain claims. In the Willow Springs District miners established proof that they had completed assessment labor with properly sworn affidavits.

According district by-laws Willow Springs District recorders were to be elected for one year terms at annual miners' meetings. E.W. Tripp remained district recorder for as long as the district functioned. By-laws required that he keep minutes and location notices in suitable books which were to remain open for inspection by miners in the district.

The Willow Springs Mining District recorder appointed deputy, G.W. Tripp, to assist him in his duties. In 1897 Utah Legislature enacted a mining law which transferred responsibility for keeping mining records to county recorders (Laws of Utah, 1897, chapter 36). At that time district records were transferred to the Tooele County recorder's office.